Despite the pregnancy widget's announcement on my blog sidebar, congratulations are not quite in order yet. I'm still here, still pregnant. I'm 40 weeks and 3 days at this point. Honestly, I feel fine. I'm not uncomfortable, still sleeping relatively well - no contractions, not even Braxton Hicks, no progress, nothing - this baby is content to stay put for the time being.
If things were different, I'd be a bit more anxious about my progress (or lack thereof) - but I'm happy for now to let things move along at their own pace.
So, I haven't really mentioned it here, but the current plan, once the baby is here, is to cloth diaper said baby. I say "plan" very loosely, because I'm really not the type of person who lives or dies by hard and fast rules - nor do I want to stake my claim, flag and all, on a mountain named "THE PLAN." Mostly because I AM a person who hates to admit defeat - so if I never wed myself to one PLAN, that means if it doesn't work out, I haven't failed - right? ;o)
So - as I said, my intentions are to cloth diaper this baby of ours - and if it works out, great! If not ... well, I'll be disappointed and then I'll move on with my life, lol. But for now, here's how our current newborn diaper stash is shaping up:
The basket on the left contains fitteds - on the right, we have sized all-in-ones (newborn/extra-small), plus covers - I also have a few one-size fitteds in the back. In the front on the left are half a dozen organic cotton newborn sized prefolds (the other half dozen are in the second drawer). I also have some two-sided cloth wipes and some travel sized wet bags - plus one of those baby grooming/health care kits. Plus assorted diaper creams/lotions/potions that are not really cloth diapering "safe," but I figured I can use with a liner or similar.
Here's a bit of a breakdown:
- Fitteds: Kissaluv size 0's, one newborn sized Muttaqin that I bought used (super cute dog print!), plus two one size Goodmamas.
- Sized all-in-ones: BumGenius (XS), Sposoeasy (XS + S, bought used), plus fabulous custom Muttaqin in fab sushi print (need to take a separate picture)
- Covers: mostly Thirsties Duo Wraps (Size 1), plus one or two regular Thirsties covers (XS, S). I also have an awesome one-size snap diaper cover from etsy seller brookiellen in a very hip "mix tape" fabric.
- Prefolds: one dozen Cloth-eez® Organic Prefold Diapers (Newborn, orange-edged) from Green Mountain Diapers. Snappis are in the basket on top of the dresser.
- Wipes: Thirsties fab wipes (not pictured in drawer, they're in a basket on top of the dresser - love the fun colors!) and two-sided wipes from Green Mountain Diapers. Half are in the drawer, pictured, the other half are in the wipes warmer on top of the dresser, waiting to be moistened with water and some soap bits that I bought from etsy seller WeeEssentials.
I think we'll start with fitteds, prefolds and covers - with all-in-ones mixed in for day care use and when we're on-the-go. I also have baskets with larger diaper sizes in the closet, ready to go - those are filled mainly with BumGenius one-size, BumGenius Organic AIO one-size (bought used), larger Sposoeasies (used), some sized Thirsties AIOs (used), etc. Once we're passed the fitted/prefold stage, I think we'll transition mostly to pocket dipes and AIOs.
The large wet bag on the back of the door is how we're currently planning on handling dirty diapers, pre-laundry stage (don't worry, I'm sure the diaper bags will have relocated by that point). I have spare large wet bags in the closet, too. The one in the picture I bought used on Hyena Cart's Spots' Corner - couldn't not resist the awesome Heather Ross goldfish print. I just really didn't want to take up extra floor space with a diaper pail and liner, so I'm hoping this works. I've heard from several people that a large, properly sealed wet bag will work just as well, so here's hoping.
So that's the "plan," such as it is.
Questions, comments, difficulties?